Hey Glam Squad! Happy Monday! I have been quite a busy bee lately getting ready for our baby due in May. If you follow along on Instagram, you have seen a sneak peek of the nursery, but today you do not need to wait another moment! The whole room will not be complete until it gets closer to May, but I wanted to share my painting project with you from beginning to end!
The first challenge for this project was picking the paint color. I narrowed it down to the two below: Benjamin Moore- Van Deusen Blue and In the Midnight Hour. I went to my local paint store and got samples to see how each one would look on the wall.
The winner was: Van Deusen Blue!
I taped the walls pre- paint because I do not have the steadiest of hands and I wanted the edges to look perfect! I painted 3 walls blue and then I painted the wall where the stripes would reside Benjamin Moore Glacier White (it was the original color of the molding). This did add an extra step to my process, but I felt that the lines that I drew for the stripes would be easier to see on the white wall as opposed to a dark navy wall.
Below are the three key supplies I used to get those lines perfectly straight! The level helped keep the lines straight as I penciled them onto the wall. The blue surface delicate tape was used to make sure that upon removal, it would not rip the base paint off the wall. The angle brush helped when coating the tape before painting the stripes (see below) and to go over any trouble spots above or below the lines once the tape was removed (there wasn't many).
The height on the wall from molding to ceiling was just about 86 inches. I wanted the stripes to be the same size. While researching, I read that an odd number of stripes looks best and the stripes should be between 4 and 12 inches wide. With this in mind, I made the top and bottom stripes 13 inches and the rest 12 inches so there was not too much of a difference visually.
As show above, I placed the painters tape inside the white stripes to make sure the blue stripes were painted the correct width. I marked each stripe that was staying white with tape so that I didn't get confused.
Below was the best tip I received at the paint store for keeping these lines straight, with minimal leakage of the opposing color. The woman told me to paint the edges of the tape the base color of the wall before painting the blue color so that if any color seeped through, it would be the color that was already on the wall- total GENIUS!
I painted two coats of the blue and patiently waited for the paint to dry. I could not wait to take the tape off and see the final result! When the tape was removed, there was MINIMAL spots that needed a touch up. With a steady hand and my angled brush, I got rid of any problem areas and wallah..... your finished product!
This was not the easiest of projects, and it was completed over many days, but the end result was totally worth all of the work! I hope this tutorial was helpful and I hope you are as thrilled with the outcome as we are!
Hope you have a wonderful week!